ABOUT THE PROJECT
The project “ALL HANDS ON DECK – European work heritage in shipwright for present and future”– co-funded by the European Commission Erasmus+ KA2 programme, project number 2019-1-ES01-KA204-065201
“ALL HANDS ON DECK” is a signal used on board ship, and it means that everyone is needed in a particular situation; but the crisis of the last years has two important labour victims who have suffered the worst of the crisis: younger ones (because they are not receiving their first opportunity) and professionals beyond 45 years old. Current work panorama at European Union is quite different from a decade abroad.
In line with ET2020/European Agenda for Adult Learning, it is necessary to give more opportunities to possible career transitions in case of long-term unemployment.
At the same time, it is found that some job opportunities like shipwright are growing in some parts of Europe (like UK and Sweden) and it is expected to be replicated in other European countries because it is more environmentally friendly and there are not a lot of current professionals working on this.
All hands on deck will develop an online repository with clue documents (including videos with current workers) about shipwright in the 6 European Maritime Regions (Intermediterranean, Atlantic arc, Baltic, North sea, Balkan & Black sea and Islands) according CPMR classification to be used by professionals, researchers or trainers; a study about the current trainer offer for this job position; a training course to adults according previous background (furniture, upholstery and close sectors) for acquiring shipwright skills implemented in an e-platform compatible with smartphones and tablets and available in English, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Polish and French; mentoring course for adult learners to preserve and spread the immaterial heritage of shipwright to the new young generations.
These available outputs will have impact and could be used by adult professionals (mainly potential learners – unemployed of furniture or related sector), Professional shipwrights, Young learners, Heritage researchers, Teachers and trainers, Experts in Human Resources, Educational decision makers and other Stakeholders but they will be available for general public and it exists the possibility of transference to other sectors of some of the material.
This project will have impact at local, regional, national and European level with the most important impact in the conservation of immaterial cultural heritage and in the level of long-term unemployment in some sectors through the transition to other potential careers.
The 24-month project will be operational from 02-12-2019 till 01-12-2021 .
ALL HANDS ON DECK OBJECTIVES
The objective of ALL HANDS ON DECK project are:
- To promote the study of shipwright job position to adult learners who were worked in close sectors like furniture, upholstery, carpentry, wood workers, above all to long-term unemployed workers beyond 45 years who could have the risk of work exclusion.
- To spread the importance of the shipwright job position and preservation of immaterial heritage.
- To update the professionals’ knowledge on knowing how to be effective mentors
- To attract new young learners to this job position to ensure their continuity in the future. Adult learners who will have mentoring skills thanks to this project are an attraction tool for the next generations.
- To increase the demand of wood boats and preserve the important effort of shipwrights around Europe. It will be included the aspect of boosting the recovery of building of wood crafts to preserve the environment.
- To preserve the heritage around Europe which it is clue in some maritime areas and it deserves to be protected because safeguarding an intangible cultural heritage means transferring knowledge, techniques and meanings in order to transmit to future generations.
ALL HANDS ON DECK ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS
The Activities and results that partners will carried out are:
IO1 – Online repository with clue documents relating with shipwright around Europe
IO2 – Designed and developed adult training course for shipwright in every maritime area including potential adjustments from related sectors
IO3 – Mentoring course for intergeneration training to preserve immaterial cultural heritage of shipwright job position around Europe